Losing three people close to him in the space of a couple of weeks made Jack Black realise that more needed to be done to teach people the dangers of stress. As a result, he founded Mindstore International and for over 25 years, he has taught his programmes to help clients fulfil their true potential.
After seeing three close friends pass away suddenly due to stress, Jack realised no one knew about the subject and decided to learn more about it. Collapsing in the hairdressers was the last warning for Jack that he too needed to manage his workload and decided to leave working in social education with young people in Glasgow. He realised everyone needed to manage stress and he set out to help others manage their thoughts to drive them towards success.
His passion for personal development and helping people have seen Jack become recognised as one of the UK’s most influential leaders on personal development, success mindset and mindfulness. Business leaders, sports stars and top entrepreneurs along with hundreds of leading companies have all benefited from his tools and techniques to help them change their way of thinking and enhance performance.
Jack offers so much advice in the podcast, including a simple tool to help you avoid those negative thoughts and live a more positive lifestyle. Your attitude depends mostly on what you say and think about yourself, so Jack delivers a wealth of advice on how you can overcome doubt and fear through positive thinking to help you succeed. He believes some people are only living a fraction of their potential and wants to help you become the best version of yourself.
Here are five key lessons to take away from Jack’s inspiring podcast:
1. Things improve with positive thinking. People have the tendency to be more negative than positive, but thinking this way won’t bring you success or happiness. Jack believes most people don’t manage their thoughts, but it is vital to think positively to fulfil your potential and be better at what you are doing. Start to think positively and say positive things to yourself and you will notice that you will become a lot more confident. It will help you make important decisions and drive you towards your goals.
2. Learn to Meditate. One of the important pieces of advice Jack would give to his younger self would be to learn meditation. It can be a course where you meditate as part as a group if you want, or there are a lot of techniques you can find on the internet to do it alone if that is what you prefer. Some people tend to turn their heads at this kind of thing but meditation can really help relax your body, still your mind and relieve stress. Set aside some time in your day -possibly as part of your morning ritual – to meditate. It will help you feel much better about yourself and gain focus on what is important in your life. Sign up to Mindstore online or on their app today and get a free meditation programme.
3. How to overcome fear. When Jack had the opportunity to help out at one of the worst schools in England, he saw that the students were not interested in what he had to say. Jack decided to go down among them and swore at them to grab their attention. He told them they were scared to fail but if they were willing to let him help them, he could make the fear go away. What happened was astonishing, as he helped the students to use their brain differently and they got the best results in the school’s history. Fear and worry are all in your head. Train your brain think more positively and you will notice a change for the better.
4. Rise above the negativity. It is a common theme among my guests that they offer advice to younger people to manage your surroundings. Choose to hang around with successful people who motivate you to achieve success. However, Jack believes there is no such perfect world where everyone is positive. There will be negative people around wherever you go, but what you have to do is rise above it and maintain your positive attitude among them. Don’t let them bring you down.
5. Sets goals to what you are passionate about. Jack believes it is a crime that some people try to persuade others to set realistic and achievable goals. If you look at the successful people in whatever field you are interested in, they did not set realistic goals or have a plan. They did not know how to get there in their early career but they made it work. They focused on why they were doing it; the how will come along on the journey. Think about what you are passionate about and work towards a career in what you enjoy doing.
6. “Delete that programme.” When you type something on your computer and you make a mistake, what you have to do is simple: press the delete button and re-type. Jack uses this analogy as a technique to help people get rid of the negative thoughts. Jack advises that if you have a negative thought, simply “delete that programme” and retype it with a positive. What you say to yourself programmes your brain to make you feel that way. Instead of saying things like “I’m tired” or “I’m nervous,” re-write them with “I’m great” or “I’m excited.” What you think and say to yourself becomes your reality.
Do you agree with my takeaways from Jack Black’s podcast? Was there something else you took on board from the interview? Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
If you enjoyed reading this article, there is much more content here on the website to enjoy including all the latest inspiring podcasts and daily advice videos.
Finally, the next What I Know Now event “Achieve. Succeed. Enhancing your Ability to Succeed” takes place on Thursday 26 October. There are just a few more days to avail of the early bird price of €30, so sign up now at this link.